My Complete Options Income Framework:
Most investing mistakes are not caused by a lack of knowledge. They are caused by a lack of process.
After years of investing, trading options, managing assignments, and navigating both bull and bear markets, I developed a framework that guides nearly every decision in my portfolio.
The objective is not to predict the next market move.
The objective is to consistently make high-quality decisions that:
- Increase portfolio income
- Improve capital efficiency
- Control risk
- Support long-term wealth creation
This framework combines dividend investing, stock ownership, covered calls, cash-secured puts, and disciplined margin management into a repeatable process.
Why I Built This Framework
For years, I found myself asking the same questions:
- Should I buy shares here?
- Is this a good time to sell a cash-secured put?
- Should I write a covered call?
- Should I roll the position or accept assignment?
- Am I taking too much risk?
Without a framework, every decision feels unique.
With a framework, many decisions become routine.
The goal is not to maximize profit on every trade.
The goal is to consistently make good decisions over hundreds of trades and allow compounding to work over time.
Recent Results
A framework is only useful if it produces measurable results.
Through September 21, 2026, my portfolio generated:
| Metric | Amount |
|---|---|
| Realized Option Profit | $4,582 |
| Realized Stock Profit | $216 |
| Total Realized Profit | $4,798 |
| Net Option Cash Flow | $3,889 |
These results were not driven by a single winning trade.
They resulted from repeatedly applying the same decision-making process across dozens of positions.
Framework in Action
The best way to understand a framework is through actual trades.
Example #1: Taking Profits Early
On October 5, I closed three ARMG $26 call contracts by buying them back for $1.00 per contract.
The position generated approximately $180 in realized profit.
Could I have held until expiration?
Possibly.
However, once a substantial portion of the available profit had been captured, the remaining reward no longer justified the additional risk.
Closing the position accomplished three objectives:
- Locked in gains
- Eliminated uncertainty
- Freed capital for future opportunities
This trade reflects one of the most important principles of my framework:
Consistently capturing 70-80% of available profit is often more valuable than pursuing the final few dollars of premium.
Example #2: Generating New Income
Earlier the same day, I sold:
- 2 RDDT $165 Covered Calls
- Expiration: October 16
- Premium Collected: $289.92
This trade represented the income-generation side of the framework.
Before entering the position, I confirmed:
✅ Assignment was acceptable
✅ Premium justified the upside trade-off
✅ Market conditions favored covered-call writing
✅ The position fit my portfolio objectives
Rather than trying to predict where Reddit would trade two weeks later, I focused on what I could control: generating premium income while managing risk.
Together, these two trades demonstrate the two pillars of the framework:
- Generate income when opportunities exist.
- Lock in gains when risk exceeds reward.
Step 1: Use RSI as a Decision Framework
I use RSI (14) as a portfolio-management tool rather than a standalone trading signal.
| RSI (14) | Primary Action |
|---|---|
| Above 70 | Hold cash, evaluate covered calls |
| 60-70 | Sell OTM cash-secured puts (0.10-0.20 delta) |
| 50-60 | Sell ATM or near-ATM puts |
| 40-50 | Gradually buy shares |
| 30-40 | Accumulate quality stocks in stages |
| Below 30 | Evaluate deep ITM LEAPS after confirmation |
One lesson I've learned repeatedly is that oversold stocks can become even more oversold.
RSI provides context, not certainty.
Step 2: Require Technical Confirmation
Before allocating capital, I review multiple technical indicators.
My checklist includes:
- 21-day moving average
- 50-day moving average
- 200-day moving average
- Bollinger Bands
- MACD trend
- Support and resistance
- Recent trading range
My rule is simple:
No trade is entered based solely on RSI.
Waiting for multiple signals reduces trade frequency but often improves trade quality.
Step 3: Match the Strategy to Market Conditions
Not every strategy belongs in every environment.
During Market Weakness
I typically favor:
- Cash-secured puts
- Incremental stock purchases
- Selective long-dated options
Market weakness often creates the most attractive risk-adjusted opportunities.
During Market Strength
I typically favor:
- Covered calls
- Profit harvesting
- Premium collection
The recent RDDT covered-call trade is a good example of this principle in action.
What I Avoid
- Buying calls during accelerating declines
- Selling aggressive covered calls on oversold stocks
Both situations often create unfavorable risk-reward dynamics.
Step 4: Let Implied Volatility Guide Strategy Selection
Implied Volatility Rank (IV Rank) helps determine whether I want to be an option seller or buyer.
| IV Rank | Preferred Strategy |
|---|---|
| Below 25 | LEAPS and long options |
| 25-40 | Neutral environment |
| 40-60 | Cash-secured puts and covered calls |
| 60-80 | Smaller positions and wider strikes |
| Above 80 | Capital preservation first |
General rule:
- High IV favors sellers.
- Low IV favors buyers.
Step 5: Follow Consistent Option Rules
Successful option trading is often more about discipline than prediction.
Cash-Secured Puts
- Delta: 0.15-0.25
- Duration: 7-21 DTE
- Assignment must be acceptable
Covered Calls
- Standard duration: 7-21 DTE
- Core holdings: occasionally 30-45 DTE
- Strikes selected to preserve reasonable upside
Profit-Taking
- Use limit orders
- Evaluate closing positions around 70-80% profit
- Avoid holding merely to collect the final few dollars of premium
The recent ARMG trade demonstrates this approach.
Once a large percentage of profit had been captured, preserving gains became more important than maximizing profit.
Step 6: Roll Only When It Improves the Position
Rolling should improve a trade, not postpone a decision.
My preferred rules are:
✅ Roll for a net credit
✅ Roll up and out when appropriate
✅ Improve the risk-reward profile
I generally avoid:
❌ Significant debit rolls
❌ Rolling indefinitely without a clear objective
Before rolling any position, I compare four alternatives:
- Roll
- Accept assignment
- Close the trade
- Take no action
Sometimes assignment is the best available outcome.
Step 7: Respect Margin
Margin can enhance returns.
It can also amplify mistakes.
My operating guidelines include:
- Maintain 30-40% unused buying power
- Keep several months of interest reserves
- Ensure premium income exceeds financing costs
- Reduce risk as volatility rises
Current margin interest is approximately 4.75%, which means every leveraged position must justify its cost of capital.
Long-Term Objective
My long-term goal is to continue reducing margin exposure toward approximately $50,000 or less.
Flexibility is often more valuable than maximum leverage.
The Mistakes This Framework Helps Prevent
Every rule exists because of prior experience.
Chasing Premium
High premiums frequently signal high risk.
Today, I evaluate the underlying company first and premium second.
Holding Winners Too Long
The ARMG example reinforced that realized gains often matter more than maximizing theoretical gains.
Selling Calls Without a Plan
The RDDT trade worked because I was comfortable with assignment before entering the position.
Excessive Margin Usage
Leverage is helpful when managed carefully and dangerous when ignored.
Maintaining liquidity and flexibility remains a core priority.
How I Measure Success
Many options traders focus on one metric:
Premium collected.
I don't.
Instead, I track:
- Gross premium
- Buyback costs
- Net realized option profit
- Stock gains and losses
- Dividends received
- Margin interest
- Open premium exposure
Ultimately, my scorecard is simple:
Total return after margin interest, taxes, trading costs, and surrendered upside.
Premium is revenue.
Total return is the objective.
Final Thoughts
This framework is not designed to maximize returns in any single month.
It is designed to create a repeatable process that can survive different market environments while producing growing streams of income.
If the framework helps me:
- Increase dividend income
- Increase options income
- Build portfolio value
- Reduce emotional decision-making
- Sleep well at night
then it is accomplishing its purpose.
Markets will always be uncertain.
A disciplined framework provides consistency when markets do not.
Disclosure and Disclaimer
This article reflects my personal investing framework and is provided solely for educational purposes. It should not be considered financial, investment, tax, or legal advice.
Options trading, stock investing, and margin borrowing involve substantial risk, including the potential loss of capital. Any examples discussed are intended to illustrate concepts and should not be interpreted as recommendations to buy or sell specific securities.
Always conduct your own research and consult appropriate professionals before making investment decisions.
Past performance does not guarantee future results.
No comments:
Post a Comment