Today's SMCI trade wasn't about collecting new premium. It was about taking profit, removing three calls below my $49 average cost, and putting 300 shares back under my control.
On September 30, I bought back three SMCI covered calls that were set to expire October 2.
At first glance, the transactions don't look particularly exciting.
I spent $95.12 buying back the contracts.
But those calls had been sold earlier for substantially more. Closing them today locked in:
+$197 realized profit
More importantly, the trades released 300 SMCI shares that had been tied to $43 and $44 strikes.
My average cost on SMCI is approximately $49.
That makes today's decision much more interesting.
One update to the graphic: my SMCI average cost is approximately $49. The $8,202 monthly P/L shown in the graphic isn't the focus of today's story.
Here's Exactly What I Closed
I had three SMCI calls expiring October 2.
One was a $44 call covering 100 shares.
I paid $21.04 to buy it back.
Final realized profit:
+$79
I also had two $43 calls, covering another 200 shares.
I paid $74.08 to close both.
Final realized profit:
+$118
Put everything together:
| Today's SMCI trade | Cost to close | Realized profit | Shares freed |
|---|---|---|---|
| BTC $44C 10/2 ×1 | $21.04 | +$79 | 100 |
| BTC $43C 10/2 ×2 | $74.08 | +$118 | 200 |
| Total | $95.12 | +$197 | 300 |
So yes, $95.12 left my account today.
But I didn't lose $95.
I spent $95.12 closing positions that had already earned more premium than they cost to buy back.
The completed trades produced $197 of realized profit.
That's an important distinction.
But the $197 Wasn't My Main Reason for Closing
Here's where my $49 average cost becomes important.
My covered calls had strikes at:
$43
and
$44.
Both are below my approximately $49 average cost.
That means I had 300 shares tied to potential exit prices I wasn't particularly excited about.
If assignment occurred:
200 shares could leave at $43.
100 shares could leave at $44.
Compared with my $49 average, that's a substantial difference in the underlying stock price.
Of course, the calculation isn't quite as simple as saying assignment would automatically create a loss of $5 or $6 per share.
I've collected option premium on SMCI, and that income changes the overall economics of the position.
But from the perspective of the shares themselves, I didn't want to remain obligated to sell 300 shares below my $49 average merely to capture the last few dollars of these calls.
So I bought them back.
I Wasn't Going to Fight for the Last $95
The calls expire October 2.
I could have waited.
Maybe all three expire worthless.
If that happened, I wouldn't have needed to spend today's $95.12.
That's the temptation with covered calls:
“There are only a few days left. Why not squeeze out the rest?”
But that's not the only question.
I also have to ask:
What am I keeping at risk to earn that remaining $95?
In this case, the answer was 300 SMCI shares.
I decided I'd rather take the profit already available and remove the upside cap.
300 Shares Are Free Again
This is the real result of today's trade.
Before the buybacks:
200 shares were capped at $43.
100 shares were capped at $44.
After the buybacks:
All 300 shares are free.
No October 2 obligation.
No $43 exit.
No $44 exit.
Now I get to make the next decision based on where SMCI goes rather than because an old covered call forces my hand.
I can hold the shares.
I can wait for SMCI to recover.
I can sell another call if premium becomes attractive.
I can choose higher strikes.
Or I can simply do nothing.
That flexibility is worth something.
ARM Changed How I Think About This
My recent ARM trade is still fresh in my mind.
I had ARM shares called away at $265.
Then the stock ran toward $310.
On 100 shares, that represented roughly $4,500 of subsequent upside I didn't participate in.
That doesn't mean I'm going to panic and buy back every covered call whenever a stock moves.
Covered calls inherently sacrifice some upside in exchange for premium.
But ARM reinforced something important for me:
Don't protect the final few dollars of option premium at any cost.
There are times when taking most of the profit and releasing the shares makes more sense than squeezing the contract until expiration.
Today's SMCI trade fits that thinking.
The Math I Care About Today
Forget the monthly totals.
Today's SMCI transaction comes down to four numbers:
$95.12
What I paid to eliminate the three remaining call obligations.
$197
The realized profit from those completed option trades.
300
The number of SMCI shares that are now completely uncovered.
$49
My approximate average cost per share—and the reason I'm happier having those shares free rather than committed at $43 and $44.
That tells the entire story.
What's My Next SMCI Trade?
I'm not automatically replacing these calls today.
That's important.
One of the easiest traps with covered calls is feeling that every uncovered block of 100 shares must immediately have a call sold against it.
I don't think that's true.
Premium is attractive only when the entire trade makes sense.
If SMCI gives me a better opportunity, I can sell calls again.
But I'd rather wait for a strike and premium combination I'm comfortable with than collect a small amount of money simply because I can.
Especially when my average is around $49.
Sometimes Buying Back a Call Is the Profitable Trade
Today wasn't about maximizing premium.
It was about managing a position.
I spent $95.12.
I locked in $197 of realized profit.
I eliminated three covered-call obligations.
And I regained complete control of 300 SMCI shares.
Most importantly, those shares are no longer tied to $43 and $44 exit prices below my roughly $49 average cost.
Now I can wait.
If SMCI moves higher, I participate.
If another covered-call opportunity appears, I can take it.
And if neither happens immediately, I don't have to force a trade.
Sometimes the best use of $95 isn't buying another option.
It's buying back your flexibility.
No comments:
Post a Comment