Saturday, September 26, 2026

I Made Money on ARM — Then Watched It Run Another $4,500 Without Me

 I bought 100 shares of ARM at $262.40.

A little over two weeks later, my shares were called away at $265.

I made money on the shares. I collected option premium along the way. I even made another quick profit selling and buying back an ARM put.

Then came the painful part.

ARM ran to around $310.

Had I still owned those 100 shares, the move from my $265 assignment price to roughly $310 represented another $4,500 in potential stock appreciation.

I didn't lose $4,500.

But I absolutely gave up the opportunity to participate in it.

And that may be the most valuable lesson from this entire trade.



The Trade Started With $26,240

On September 8, I bought 100 ARM shares at $262.40, putting roughly $26,240 into the position.

Almost immediately, I sold a $265 covered call and collected $665.

My thinking was simple: if I'm going to own the shares, I want them generating cash.

But every covered call has a price.

I had effectively agreed to sell my ARM shares at $265 if the stock moved above my strike and I was assigned.

At the time, that looked like a reasonable trade.

A couple of weeks later, it looked very different.

I Kept Collecting Premium

I subsequently adjusted the call position, with my brokerage history showing a $546 net credit from the short-call roll.

Then on September 17, I sold another $265 call expiring September 25, collecting $700.

The strategy was doing exactly what I wanted it to do:

Turn shares into an income-producing asset.

And then ARM took off.

Assignment Arrived

On September 25, my $265 call was assigned.

My 100 shares were sold at the strike.

I had purchased them at $262.40, so I still captured approximately:

($265 − $262.40) × 100 = $260

of stock appreciation before fees and adjustments.

Nothing about that is a losing trade.

But then ARM kept running.

At approximately $310, those same 100 shares would have been worth roughly $31,000.

From my $265 assignment price alone:

$310 − $265 = $45

$45 × 100 shares = $4,500

That's $4,500 of additional upside I didn't participate in.

This Is the Part of Covered Calls We Don't Talk About Enough

Premium feels like income.

It hits the account immediately.

And when a covered call expires worthless, selling it can feel almost too easy.

But premium isn't free money.

I received cash in exchange for giving someone else the right to buy my shares at a predetermined price.

With ARM, that price was $265.

When ARM subsequently ran toward $310, the true cost of that agreement became obvious.

My biggest cost wasn't a red number in my brokerage account.

It was opportunity cost.

I Still Went Back to ARM

Interestingly, assignment wasn't the end of my ARM trading.

On September 24, I had sold an ARM $300 put expiring October 2 for $870.

On September 25, I bought it back for $580.

That produced another:

+$290 realized profit

I could have waited and tried to squeeze more money out of the contract.

I didn't.

The profit was available. I took it.

That's one part of this strategy I don't want to change.

But ARM Changed How I Think About Covered Calls

The lesson isn't that covered calls are bad.

It's that covered calls need to match what I actually want from the underlying stock.

If I'm actively trying to exit a position, selling calls can make perfect sense.

If I'm holding a slower-moving income position, I may also be perfectly happy exchanging some upside for premium.

But if I own a volatile growth stock that I believe has substantial upside?

That's where I need to think much harder before placing a call only a few dollars above the current share price.

The question isn't simply:

“How much premium can I collect?”

The better question is:

“How much upside am I willing to sell for this premium?”

ARM gave me the answer in dramatic fashion.

Would I Do It Again?

I'd still sell covered calls.

But ARM reinforces why I don't want covered-call income to become an automatic weekly routine on every stock I own.

Strike selection matters.

Expiration matters.

Volatility matters.

And, most importantly, my reason for owning the stock matters.

A $500 or $700 premium can look attractive today.

But if collecting that premium means capping thousands of dollars of potential appreciation in a stock I actually wanted to own, the trade deserves much more scrutiny.

A Profitable Trade Can Still Teach an Expensive Lesson

That's ultimately how I view ARM.

I bought at $262.40.

I was assigned at $265.

I collected option income while holding the shares.

I made another $290 on the put trade.

I made money.

Then I watched ARM run toward $310 without me.

Those two statements can both be true.

And that's probably the most useful thing I've learned from this trade:

Don't judge an options strategy only by how much premium it generates. Measure what you're giving up to collect that premium.

I didn't lose $4,500 on ARM.

But watching $4,500 of potential upside disappear after assignment gave me something almost as valuable:

a much clearer understanding of what a covered call actually costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment