Tuesday, September 22, 2026

$280 Booked. $491 in New Premium.

 At first glance, September 21 didn’t look like a profitable trading day for me.

My four options transactions produced negative cash flow of $29.28.

But I actually finished the day locking in $280 in realized profit.

That difference is something I’ve learned to pay much more attention to as I’ve become more active with covered calls and puts. Cash coming into the brokerage account feels good, but it doesn’t necessarily mean I made money. And cash leaving the account doesn’t necessarily mean I lost money.

September 21 was a perfect example.

TransactionCash FlowRealized P/L
STO MRVL $280C 10/2 ×1+$259.96Open
BTC SPCX $149P 10/2 ×1−$310.04+$148.00
BTC ASTS $52P 10/9 ×3−$210.12+$132.00
STO RDDT $175C 10/2 ×2+$230.92Open
September 21 Total−$29.28+$280.00

I Took the Profit Instead of Waiting

The first thing I did was close my SPCX $149 put expiring October 2.

It cost me $310.04 to buy the contract back.

Normally, seeing $310 leave the account doesn’t exactly feel like making money. But I had originally collected more premium when I sold the put.

After closing the complete trade, I walked away with a $148 realized profit.

I did something similar with ASTS.

I had three ASTS $52 puts expiring October 9. I paid $210.12 to buy all three back and close the position.

My realized profit was another $132.

So between SPCX and ASTS, I booked:

$280 in actual realized profit.

Could I have waited longer and tried to squeeze more premium out of those contracts?

Absolutely.

But that isn’t always my goal.

One thing I’m increasingly trying to do with options is avoid becoming obsessed with collecting every last dollar from a winning contract.

Sometimes I would rather take the profit, remove the obligation and move on to the next trade.

Then I Put the Capital Back to Work

Closing SPCX and ASTS wasn't the end of the day.

I opened two new covered-call positions.

First was Marvell Technology (MRVL).

I sold one MRVL $280 call expiring October 2 and collected $259.96.

Then came Reddit.

I sold two RDDT $175 calls, also expiring October 2, collecting another $230.92.

Combined, those new calls put:

$490.88 in premium into my account.

But I'm deliberately not calling that $490.88 profit yet.

That distinction matters to me.

The money is sitting in the account, but the trades aren't finished. MRVL and Reddit can move significantly before October 2.

Until I close the calls, they expire or assignment takes place, I consider them open trades rather than completed profits.

Why I Sold Calls on MRVL and Reddit

This is where the personal side of my strategy comes into the picture.

I don't sell covered calls simply because a premium is available.

I'm trying to generate income from shares I already own while making decisions about where I'm comfortable potentially letting shares go.

With MRVL, I now have a $280 strike sitting above the position.

With Reddit, I have two $175 calls covering 200 shares.

If the stocks remain below those strikes, time decay works in my favor and I may eventually keep most or all of the premium.

If they move strongly above my strikes, I have a different decision to make.

I can allow assignment.

I can buy the calls back.

Or, if the numbers make sense, I can roll them.

What I don't want to do is automatically fight assignment simply because a stock is moving higher.

Every adjustment has a cost.

Sometimes collecting premium and eventually letting shares go is exactly what the original covered-call trade was supposed to accomplish.

The Weird Math of My September 21 Trading Day

Here's what makes this particular trading day interesting.

I collected:

+$259.96 from MRVL

+$230.92 from RDDT

That's +$490.88 coming into the account.

But I spent:

−$310.04 closing SPCX

−$210.12 closing ASTS

That's −$520.16 leaving the account.

So my net cash movement was:

−$29.28.

If I looked only at the cash column in my brokerage account, I could easily call it a losing day.

It wasn't.

The SPCX trade produced +$148 realized profit.

ASTS produced +$132 realized profit.

My completed trades therefore generated:

+$280 Realized Profit

Meanwhile, I replaced the positions I closed with $490.88 of new option premium that now has the opportunity to become future realized profit.

That is a much better description of what happened.

One Lesson I've Learned From Selling Options

When I first started paying close attention to premium income, it was easy to focus on one number:

How much premium did I collect today?

I don't think that's enough anymore.

A trader can collect thousands of dollars in premium and still have terrible underlying positions.

A trader can also spend money buying options back and actually be locking in profitable trades.

So I now want to know three different numbers:

Cash collected.

Realized profit.

Risk still sitting in my open positions.

September 21 demonstrates why.

I didn't generate positive cash flow from these four transactions.

I did generate $280 of realized profit.

And I entered the next cycle with $490.88 of newly collected premium from MRVL and Reddit.

Those are three different numbers telling three different parts of the same story.

Now October 2 Becomes the Next Decision Point

My two newest positions are straightforward:

MRVL — 1 × $280 covered call, October 2

RDDT — 2 × $175 covered calls, October 2

I'll watch what happens to the stocks rather than deciding in advance that I must roll or must accept assignment.

If the calls lose substantial value quickly, buying them back could make sense.

If the stocks approach or move through my strikes, I'll evaluate the economics of assignment versus rolling.

And if nothing dramatic happens?

Time decay can continue doing its job.

That's really what I'm trying to improve with my options trading.

I'm not trying to win every trade or squeeze every dollar out of every contract.

I'm trying to collect premium, realize gains when they are available, keep capital moving and avoid turning a profitable trade into a problem because I wanted the final few dollars.

September 21 wasn't my biggest trading day.

But the numbers made it one of the better examples of how my strategy actually works:

$520.16 spent closing positions.

$490.88 collected from new positions.

−$29.28 net cash flow.

And most importantly:

+$280 in realized profit.

Sometimes the most profitable number on the screen isn't the amount of cash that came in that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment